Sweet Potato Lasagna
This delicious lasagna has been created to highlight the Veganuary campaign. Veganuary is held every January to encourage more people to move towards a plant-based diet, leading to a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle. This recipe has been created in collaboration with the European Food Information Council to highlight how to reduce animal protein consumption by creating a dish with plant-based proteins.
- 4 lasagna sheets
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 750g sweet potato, diced
- 125g red lentils
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 125g tomato passata
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 250ml water
- 100g vegan cheese, grated
- Set the oven to 180°C fan, 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chopped or fresh tomatoes, passata and the water. You may need to add more water as the mixture cooks to prevent sticking.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables and lentils are soft.
- Start layering the lasagna in an ovenproof dish with a layer of half of the vegetable sauce, followed by the lasagna sheets, followed by the rest of the vegetable sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the lasagna and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until starting to brown.