This week Veg Power are focusing on cucumbers so I have created a recipe that is fun and easy to make. I have used Seasonal Veg which are in season in the UK right now. It is a great recipe to take on picnics or serve at a children’s party. Children could also have a go at making it themselves.
5 or 6 Radishes
2 Large Carrots
- Lie your cucumber on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife, cut V-shapes along the top of your cucumber. Make sure you leave a gap for the head. Younger children could do this with a plastic knife under supervision.
- Slice your radishes and carrots. Place in the V-shape slots along the cucumber.
- Push 2 peppercorns into the front of the cucumber to make eyes for the caterpillar. You may need to poke a small hole with a sharp knife in the cucumber first to secure them.
- To make the feet, cut 10 slices of carrot. Cut the sides off each carrot slice to create a rectangle. Cut out a smaller rectangle shape from the carrot to create a foot shape. Match feet shapes of similar sizes along the side of the caterpillar.
- You can use any seasonal vegetables that you have spare in your fridge. Vegetables that work well include spring onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pepper, spinach, watercress, rocket, cooked beetroot or cooked asparagus spears.
- I used the leftover slices of veg to create a seasonal salad to serve alongside the Cucumber Caterpillar.